Saturday, August 29, 2026

MW Season Underway (sort of)

With August coming to an end, it's already 8 hours between sunset and sunrise here. So, skywave signals from other continents are beginning to show up. On Sunday I will fly down to Oslo for a few days so I thought it was time to make operative a couple of beverage antennas. No reindeer that could make a mess of the wire were in sight either, happy days!

Sunny and calm when I arrived on Friday afternoon. Ocean swells were poundering the coastline at the time, and the effect was seen, and not least heard! in these protected waters as well. Check this 16-second video out (headphones or a proper subwoofer recommended!):





The 50-degrees beverage, laid out as a BOG last weekend was raised to its normal height, and Queensland's 4QD on 1548 was heard clearly together with Radio Farda. Narracoorte on 1161 was also audible at times, not much else though.

After my Saturday morning coffee and some breakfast I reeled out and elevated the 310-degrees beverage. It's short for a beverage, 275 metres, but that's what the terrain allows. Looks good, and sounds good! Perfect weather for outdoor antenna work: 18-19 Celsius, clear skies and only a light breeze. The no-knead breaddough I set on Friday was put into its final 2-hour proofing at noon, and.... Yes! We have result!

No-knead bread is better than no bread

A couple more pictures from Saturday evening, 22-ish:

View to the north. That white spot on the lower right is actually the control unit of a MegaDipol MD300DX!

View to the west


No comments: